How to Screenshot on Mac 2023 – There are millions of reasons to take screenshots on mac – even referred to as screen scarps or screen video- even in the case of Mac.
Contents in The Article
A screenshot lets you capture exactly what you see on your Mac Book or iMac screen for later reference or sharing with others. You can screenshot an image, a web page, a spreadsheet, a folder, you name it.
This is a very convenient feature that we capture the screen perfectly or perhaps use a window or any part of the window really dozens of days.
We’ve even changed where our screenshots are stored on our laptops. Here’s what you need to know about How to screenshot on Mac.
How to Screenshot on Mac 2023
There are two ways to capture your full screen, a part of the screen, or a window or menu: using the keyboard shortcut or screenshot application.
In both cases, after taking a screenshot, if you see a thumbnail in the corner of your screen, you can click on it to edit the screenshot. You can also copy and paste the screenshot elsewhere – press and hold down the control while you receive it.
Browse the gallery above to learn screenshot keyboard shortcuts and helpful screenshot app tips.
How to Screenshot full screen on Mac
To take a screenshot of your entire screen, press and hold these three keys: Shift, Command, and 3.
Alternatively, you can use the screenshot application. Press Command + Shift + 5 to open it and select the Capture Full Screen option from the menu.
You’ll see the screenshot in the app’s menu, not just image capture, but the option to record your entire screen.
Capture a portion of the screen
To take a screenshot of any part of the screen, press and hold these three keys: Shift, Command, and 4.
Drag the crosshair cursor to select the screen you want to capture, and then release your mouse or trackpad button to capture.
However, before publishing, if you want to move your selection closer, press and hold the space bar while dragging. To cancel, press Escape.
Alternatively, use the screenshot application. Press Command + Shift + 5 to open the app and select the Capture part option from the menu. You will also see the option to record the content of your selection.
How to Screenshot a window menu on mac 2023
The window or menu you want to screenshot or capture, and then press and hold these keys: Shift, Command, 4, and Space bar.
The cursor will change to a camera icon. You can then click to capture it in a window or menu (to remove the window shadow from the screenshot, simply press and hold the option key while clicking). To cancel taking a screenshot, press the Escape key.
Alternatively, use the screenshot application. Press to open the app and select the Capture window option from the menu. You’ll see the screenshot in the app’s menu, not just the capture of an image, but the option to record the contents of your window.
Where to get screenshots on Mac
By default, your screenshot will be saved on the desktop as “Screen Shot [Date] [Time] .png”.
Save screenshots to a Mac and change them there
Macos Mozave or later
If your Mac is running a newer version of MacOS (specifically, Mozavev or later), you can use the Screenshot app to change the default location of saved screenshots on Mac. Once you open the app, just go to the options in the menu bar and select where you want the screenshots to go.
1. Press these keys to open the screenshot app: Command + Shift + 5.
2. Click on the option.
3. Choose the folder listed or choose another location to choose from.
4. Once you select this destination, your settings will be saved.
Older version of Mac OS
If your Mac is running something older than Mozave, you can use the terminal to save screenshots and change them there. It’s so simple. First create your screenshot folder and name it whatever you want to call. Now, let’s show all the screenshots of the future in it. Follow these steps:
1. Open the terminal (press Command + Space).
2. Type “terminal” and wait for the application icon to appear. Click on the icon to open the application.
3. In the terminal, type the following (space is required after your location):
Enter the default apple.screencapture.com location
4. Drag and drop your screenshot folder into the terminal window to automatically fill in the directory path.
5. Now press Enter.
6. Type the following to save those changes: Kilal System UISV
To access your screenshot folder on the desktop, simply create a nickname (right-click the folder, select Create Alias, and move Alias to the desktop.
How to Screenshots without any software on mac
1. You can take it with your keyboard, for that you need to press the Windows Key [Start key] from the keyboard and the PrntScr key will be your screenshot. This way you can take screenshots from anywhere on the PC.
Notice: This rule is more effective for laptops and Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10 so if that doesn’t work for you then follow the rule below.
2. Snipping Tool It is provided by default in all Windows, so if someone does not work in the above rules, then this rule will work. Search by typing Snipping Tool from Windows Start menu, I hope you will find> then open Snipping Tool.
3. If you open the Snipping Tool, it will look like the picture below. Now select the Full Screen or the size of the screenshot you want to take. The screenshot will be done.
Here are 10 easy ways to take screenshots on laptop
Many times you have captured screenshots on your mobile which is very easy. But this is a screenshot when you have to capture on a laptop, but many people do not know how to take a screenshot on your Windows / macOS laptop.
Some people start looking for their mobile or camera at such a time, so that the photo is not clear, it is of no use to you.
Read Related Article
For this you should know how to take screenshots on any laptop (How to take screenshots on a laptop).
Let us know how to take screenshots on all laptops.
First of all let me tell you that the step of taking screenshot on PC is different according to the software.
Windows and Mac: OS is a method or command to capture screenshots of two laptops, and if you don’t know about them, you may run into difficulties.
Below we have explained all the ways to take screenshots on Windows 10 / Windows 7 laptop or PC and Macintosh.
How to take screenshots on Windows 10 laptop
There are many ways to take screenshots on a Windows 10-powered laptop / PC. Here’s how to take a screenshot on a Windows 7 laptop. Let’s find out.
1. Take a screenshot on a Windows 7/10 laptop with the help of the app.
Both Windows 10 and Windows 7 have an addictive application called ‘snipping tool’ for capturing screenshots. Once a screenshot is taken with this app, it will be automatically saved in a file image on your laptop.
- First you need to go to the Start menu and search for Snipping Tool.
- After opening the application you will see ‘New’, ‘Mode’, ‘Delay’, ‘Cancel’, and ‘Options’ options.
- You can capture screenshots at any time with the New button in the app.
- On the other hand, in the ‘Mode’ option, you can crop your own screenshot.
- You can also use the ‘Cancel’ button to pause the screenshot process. Again, with the ‘Delay’ option, you can set a timer for taking screenshots.
2. Screenshot can be taken with the help of print screen on Windows laptop.
A part from the app, screenshots can also be taken with the ‘PrtScn’ key on Windows laptops. This option allows you to take screenshots on two Windows 10/7-powered laptop.
Read Related Article
- In most cases the PrtScn key is in the top-right corner of the keyboard.
- Pressing this button will take a full screen screenshot, which you can paste as a display image in paint, Microsoft Word and any program of your choice.
- Some laptops may need the help of the button’s action key, called ‘Fn’. Press Fn + prtscn to take a screenshot on the computer.
3. Capture screenshots in Active Window using Alt + PrtScn
This option is only for active windows. It will copy the screen that you were working on. This allows you to copy and paste into any other program on the clipboard.
Windows 7 and Windows 10 laptop users will use the ‘Alt’ key on the Prtscn button to take screenshots.
4. To capture a portion, press Windows key + Shift + S together.
If you want to capture any one portion of the full screen, you need to press Windows + Shift + S together.
Doing so will dim the light of your screen and point the mouse, then you can select the portion and take a screenshot.
This will allow the screenshot to be copied to the clipboard and pasted into any program.
5. Save screenshot directly with Windows key + PrtScn
If you want to copy a screenshot from the clipboard, you need to use the Windows key + PrtScn shortcut command, which will save the screenshot as an image file.
By pressing these buttons together, the full screen picture will be saved in your “Pictures” folder or in the sub-folder “Screenshots”.
6. How to take Windows key + G screenshot
This option is for gamers who want to take screenshots on Windows laptop.
Pressing Windows and G together while playing a game will bring up many options below, which will allow you to capture selected portions and full screen. together for a game overlay.
The screenshot taken in this way will be saved directly in the subfolder ‘Captures’ of the “Videos” folder.
How to screenshot on mac OS Laptop
There are also many options in macOS, with which you can easily take screenshots. Let me tell you about this first.
1. Command + Shift + 3
Screenshots can be easily taken by pressing Command + Shift + 3 simultaneously on macOS laptops / PCs. This way you can capture the full screen.
2. Command + Shift + 4
If you want to take a screenshot of a particular place on the screen, you can use cmd + shift + 4 together.
First you have to press cmd + shift + 4 together then click and drag the cursor so that you can select the image of the place you want.
The screenshot will be automatically saved on the desktop.
3. Command + Shift + 5
This option gives you a free hand to take screenshots.
Once you click on this command, you will see some options at the bottom, which will allow you to capture the entire screen from the selected portion.
4. Command + Shift + 6
This option is only available in the Mac Book version with touch bar.
All screenshots taken on MacOS laptops are saved on the desktop (by default). You can save these screenshots to any drive / folder you like. For this you have to go to option after pressing command shift + 5 and choose save location. Then all the screenshots captured in the future will be saved in that folder or drive.
Thanks for watching…